- Craig Claiborne born (1920)
More Pay-What-You-Want Paneras to Open
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- America's 10 Healthiest Chain Restaurants
- Carmine’s Is Celebrating Its 25th Anniversary with 25-Cent Meatballs on September 25
- The World’s 25 Most Amazing Rooftop Bars and Restaurants
- Heston Blumenthal’s the Fat Duck Reopens as a New ‘Theatrical Journey’ After a Popup in Australia
- America’s Best Chinese Restaurants Part 5: Mission Chinese
Remember back when people were saying Panera's pay-what-you-want model was struggling?
Well, it turns out that the café in Portland is doing so well (along with others in Dearborn, Mich., and Clayton, Mo.), the fast-casual chain will be opening even more pay-what-you-want cafes.
Signs in the cafe say things like, "We are not about a handout. We are about a hand up for those who really need it." Customers are asked to take only one free meal a day unless necessary, and if workers see people come in a couple times a week, they will be asked to volunteer.
The company hasn't released exactly where these new Panera Care Cafés will be located, although we assume there won't be one in New York City. Totally fine; we have Jon Bon Jovi's pay-what-you-want in Jersey.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts