More Pay-What-You-Want Paneras to Open
Recipe of the day
- Restaurant Offends with Bruce Jenner Hot Dog
- McDonald’s Is Actually Closing 700 Locations This Year
- A Male Version of Hooters Is Opening in Dallas, Texas
- In This Twisted World, Taco Bell Stock Is Up and Chipotle Stock Is Down
- Chipotle Rolls Out Delivery Across 67 Cities Including New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago
Remember back when people were saying Panera's pay-what-you-want model was struggling?
Well, it turns out that the café in Portland is doing so well (along with others in Dearborn, Mich., and Clayton, Mo.), the fast-casual chain will be opening even more pay-what-you-want cafes.
Signs in the cafe say things like, "We are not about a handout. We are about a hand up for those who really need it." Customers are asked to take only one free meal a day unless necessary, and if workers see people come in a couple times a week, they will be asked to volunteer.
The company hasn't released exactly where these new Panera Care Cafés will be located, although we assume there won't be one in New York City. Totally fine; we have Jon Bon Jovi's pay-what-you-want in Jersey.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts