- Eid al Fitr(Ramadan ends)
More Pay-What-You-Want Paneras to Open
Recipe of the day
- Stranger Takes Care of Family’s Restaurant Bill After 2-Year-Old Child Throws a Temper Tantrum
- McDonald’s ‘Disappointing’ Sales Decline Continues Into 2015
- Noma Announces Move to Australia in January 2016
- Gucci Restaurant Opens in Shanghai
- Restaurateur Threatened with Fine if Customers Watch TV on Phones
Remember back when people were saying Panera's pay-what-you-want model was struggling?
Well, it turns out that the café in Portland is doing so well (along with others in Dearborn, Mich., and Clayton, Mo.), the fast-casual chain will be opening even more pay-what-you-want cafes.
Signs in the cafe say things like, "We are not about a handout. We are about a hand up for those who really need it." Customers are asked to take only one free meal a day unless necessary, and if workers see people come in a couple times a week, they will be asked to volunteer.
The company hasn't released exactly where these new Panera Care Cafés will be located, although we assume there won't be one in New York City. Totally fine; we have Jon Bon Jovi's pay-what-you-want in Jersey.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts