Miss Dominican Republic, Carlina Duran, Falls From Grace
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
- 8 Great Thanksgiving Toasts for Every Family
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
Ay dios mio. Poor Carlina Duran, 25, had the title of Miss Dominican Republic 2012 rescinded just this past Wednesday; crowned April 17, she only lasted a week. Dulcita Lieggi, 22, took her place April 25 in Santo Domingo.
Miss Universe regulations require that entrants be single. Duran, however, married in 2009; she claims that she and her husband had been trying to end the marriage. Despite this transgression, Duran still has a considerable number of followers on Facebook, some of whom still consider her to be their queen, and many of whom have expressed their sympathies.
This wasn't Duran's first pageant, however. Duran has participated in other beauty pageants before, including the Miss Tourism Queen International pageant in China last year. So, perhaps this is just a bump in the road for Duran — and, one hopes, the last.
Meanwhile, we're not sure what was on the menu at Duran's problematic wedding three years back, but we're betting there might have been a version of bizcocho dominicano, a elaborate and festive confection often served at matrimonial feast.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts