Mike's Taza Chocolate Chili Recipe
Daily Value: 23%
|Folic Acid (B9)||259µg||65%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||5g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||1g||0%|
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
This chili recipe is incredibly rich and complex, without tipping into "chocolatey" territory. Smoky chipotle, cumin, and lime balance the sweetness perfectly, and a handful of cilantro provides the perfect burst of freshness to cut through the richness.
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 head garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed and diced
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound top sirloin, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 16 ounces stout beer, preferably Harpoon Oyster Creek
- One 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 packages Taza Chipotle Chili Mexicano chocolate
- 1 package Taza Guajillo Chili Mexicano chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dried guajillo chile peppers, whole
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Diced red onion, for garnish
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, for garnish
In a large skillet, sauté onion and garlic until they start to become translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Add diced peppers and sauté until softened, about 1 minute more. Transfer onion, garlic, and peppers to a large stockpot and set aside.
Brown ground beef and sirloin in the skillet with the cumin. Drain excess fat and add 1/2 bottle of Harpoon Oyster Creek Stout to pan. Once the beer has cooked down a little, transfer beef mixture to the stockpot with the onions and peppers. Add the rest of the beer to the stockpot.
Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato paste, cayenne, chipotle, Taza chocolate, dried guajillos, cut-up lime, Worcestershire sauce, and cilantro to the stockpot and cook on low heat, simmering for at least 4 hours.
Serve warm with garnishes.
Recipe DetailsServings: 12