Miami Chef Sean Brasel Cooks at New York’s James Beard House
Today on The Daily Meal
Wednesday night, chef Sean Brasel of Meat Market restaurant, located in Miami, paid a visit to the historic James Beard House in Manhattan's West Village and treated diners to a six-course meal showcasing Certified Angus Beef®. Diners came from across the country, with people visiting from San Francisco, Miami, and New York, to sample Brasel's well executed menu, an inspired take on surf and turf.
The best dish of the night was easily the third course, a tender cut of prime beef marinated in aji panca, a Peruvian red pepper. It was served with a buttery white yucca sauce and a shiso mixed pepper salad whose tangy bite contrasted nicely with the richness of the meat. The hors d'oeuvres, too, were memorable, especially the refreshing conch ceviche.
Cooking at the James Beard House is a major milestone for many chefs, and Sean Brasel was certainly thrilled to be there that night.
Here's what was on the menu.
· Prime Certified Angus Beef® tartare with white truffles on Parmesan crostini
· House smoked salmon on sweet potato cakes with mamey crema
· Salt cod croquettes with beef carpaccio and chipotle aioli
· Conch ceviche spoons with aji amarillo miso sauce
To drink: "Honey Bunny" Champagne Cocktail
· King crab and hearts of palm-stuffed Prime Certified Angus Beef® teras major carpaccio with local microgreen salad and truffle
To drink: La Chapelle Gordonne Cötes de Provence Rosé 2012
· Sous vide pork belly with abalone, garlic-butter confit, arugula, and micro-tomatoes
To drink: Rocca Delle Macie Sasyr 2009
· Aji panca-marinated Prime Aged Certified Angus Beef® deckle with minted Key West shrimp, shiso mixed pepper salad, and black garlic and white yucca sauces
To drink: Girard Petite Sirah 2010
· Certified Angus Beef® short rib-lobster risotto with Florida Keys stone crab slaw and pickled red onions
To drink: Ysios Rioja Reserva 2006
· Macadamia-dark chocolate cube with macadamia brittle, gold leaf- berry gel, and salted caramel ice cream
To drink: W. & J. Graham’s 20-year old Tawny Porto NV
Will Budiaman is the Recipe editor at The Daily Meal. Follow him on Twitter @WillBudiaman.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts