- Chez Panisse opens (1971)
Wally Joe of Acre gives his advice for where to go when traveling to Memphis
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Sacrebleu! Paris Is Facing a Baguette Shortage Because French Bakers Are on Holiday
- What to Eat in the Most Visited Cities Around the World
- South Africa’s Food Routes: Your Ultimate Culinary Travel Planner
- Michaela's Map: Transformative Travel in Panama
- Taking the Ultimate American Road Trip? Here's Where You Have to Eat
Memphis, Tennessee, is a city that’s primarily known as a barbecue town, but there’s a lot more to the food scene than just that. We spoke to Wally Joe, who runs the fine dining restaurant Acre, who says that Memphis has seen a resurgence in recent years: "I’ve seen a lot of young talent that is really promising and doing great things," he says.
Joe suggests that visitors should try going off the beaten track beyond the touristy barbecue joints. "There are some ethnic places that are really good, some really nice Mexican restaurants, dome nice Vietnamese restaurants," he says. His particular suggestions include Taqueria La Guadalupana and Pho Saigon. He also says that there are some standout traditional Southern restaurants that visitors should hit up including Ellen’s Soul Food and Alcenia's.
But of course, you should make sure to stop in and try Wally Joe’s cuisine at Acre on any trip to Memphis! For more tips, watch the video above.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts