Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter and Crispy Shallots Recipe
3 large sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
½ cup canola oil
2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Chocolate Whiskey Cake Recipe
- Braised Lamb Shanks with Lemon-Caraway Gremolata Recipe
- Herb-Rubbed Roast Pork Loin with Apples and Calvados-Cider Sauce Recipe
- Pecan-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Port Reduction Recipe
- Hazelnut Tart with Espresso Cream Recipe
- Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Cranberry-Jalapeño Relish Recipe
- Sage and Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
- Basic Turkey Brine Recipe
Instead of ordinary mashed potatoes, try these nutrient-and-flavor-packed sweet potatoes for a brighter addition to the table.
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Toss the sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on a sheet tray and bake 45- 50 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
While the potatoes and baking, heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and add the canola oil. Add the sliced shallots and stir, cooking the shallots slowly until they begin to brown and get crispy. Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
While the potatoes are baking, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. After the butter is melted, continue to allow the butter to cook, stirring occasionally until the foam on the surface of the butter has subsided and the solids in the butter have begun to turn golden brown. Remove the butter from the heat.
Peel and mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or ricer. Add the brown butter and season with salt and pepper. Stir in balsamic vinegar, if desired. If necessary, reheat the potatoes in a saucepan over low heat before serving.