- Agoston Haraszthy born (1812)
Mario Batali on Hellmann's, His Kids' Book, and What's Next
Recipe of the day
- Michael Fassbender to Star in Marco Pierre White Movie
- Sandwich King Jeff Mauro Is Opening His First Restaurant Ever in Chicago
- New Orleans’ Chefs Prove Hurricane Katrina was No Match for the City’s Enduring Spirit
- Gail Simmons Dishes on the Upcoming 13th Season of ‘Top Chef’
- Michael Jackson’s Former Personal Chef Will Prepare Jackson’s Favorite Dishes in Honor of His Birthday
Mario Batali is certainly busy — between his restaurants, The Chew, Eataly, and his kids coming out with a book, you wouldn't think he had time for another partnership. But we recently caught up with Molto Mario at an event celebrating the 100th anniversary of Hellmann's Mayonnaise. Batali has a contest going with Hellmann's to have someone join him at the world's longest picnic table. Not a bad celebration for 100 years.
We also discussed all of his other ventues. His kids' cookbook, he says, actually came up organically after his children made him a homemade book as a surprise present for his 50th birthday. His publisher, naturally, saw it as an opportunity: "I was overcome with joy," Batali said. "It was the coolest, funnest, sweetest thing ever. Well, my publisher... he said, is there a way we can 'ca-ching' on this?" He is most proud of the fact that 50 percent of the proceeds from the book are going to charity.
We also talked about Eataly expansions — they will soon be opening in Istanbul, Chicago, and eventually São Paulo. "It's so well recieved by everybody that we're going to make more," he said. "What you have to find are likely partners in the location that will help you find the right space."
On his day job, he is looking forward to do more with The Chew, including a few non-daytime events. He notes, "They are toying with some prime-time specials; there is going to be one on May 25."
For our full interview with Batali, watch the interview above!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts