Maple-Mustard Baked Chicken
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
- 2 Tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 Teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 4-4 1/2 Pounds pounds bone-in, skinless chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 Cup soft whole-wheat fresh breadcrumbs
Enjoy this crunchy chicken at home for a family supper or take it along on a picnic to eat cold — no forks and knives required! For best flavor, shop for locally raised natural chicken and grade B maple syrup.
Whisk together the mustard, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of the oil, thyme, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Set a wire rack on a large baking sheet.
Combine the breadcrumbs and the remaining oil on a plate. Dredge the skinned side of each chicken piece in the breadcrumbs (with drumsticks, dredge the meatier side) and arrange breaded-side up on the wire rack. Leave at least 1 inch between pieces.
Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165 degrees, 35-40 minutes. Serve hot or let cool, refrigerate, and serve chilled.