Kuniko Yagi on Los Angeles' Hinoki & The Bird
The Executive Chef discusses David Myers' newest restaurant
Recipe of the day
- The Best Food Safety Tips for Blizzards
- Gordon Ramsay and 9 Other Chefs Who Cheated Death
- Michael Moore, Seth Rogen Banned from Michigan Restaurant over ‘American Sniper’ Comments
- Healthy and Fast: Wholesome Meals You Can Make in 30 Minutes or Less
- What is the Most Nutritious Vegetable You Could Have?
- Christina Tosi is Opening a Milk Bar Pop-Up in Madison Square Park
- Ruby Tuesday Sued for Gender Discrimination Against Men
- KFC Has Really Outdone Itself with the DoubleDown Dog
- Woman Gets Bag of Cash from Burger King Drive-Thru
- Reports About New Restaurant By 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' Chef and Restaurateur Alessandro Borgognone May Be Inaccurate
Television viewers might know Kuniko Yagi as a popular cheftestant from this season of Top Chef, but in Los Angeles she's known for her cuisine. And her newest venture is with David Myers at Hinoki & The Bird in Los Angeles' Century City neighborhood. The restaurant melds Californian and Asian styles. "The concept is California cuisine with a touch of Asian flavors," says Yagi. "We wanted to create our own cuisine, not just a Japanese restaurant or an Asian restaurant. We use California products and groceries."
Some of the signature dishes include their lobster roll, which is seasoned with green curry paste as well as black cod served with cedar (a nod to the name Hinoki, which means cedar tree in Japanese).
The open planning and modern décor is part of an attempt to create an environment that feels a world away from the busy Los Angeles streets outside. "We wanted [the] diner to feel that they are in nowhere, not just LA. So we brought a touch of the Japanese feel," says Yagi. "For example, we use denim from Japan but it's the culture of America."
For more, watch the video above and if you're in Los Angeles you can try Hinoki & The Bird yourself!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts