- Simone "Simca" Beck born (1904)
John Besh’s Tips for a New Orleans-Style Super Bowl Bash
The August chef gives an insider look at where to eat and go in the Big Easy
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
As a New Orleans native, Besh knows a thing or two about hosting a classic NOLA style bash and just in time for the big game
It’s safe to say that John Besh knows a good thing or two about how to host a classic Southern dinner party. The New Orleans native and James Beard Award-winning chef has nine restaurants under his belt including his New Orleans flagship, August, is a mastering NOLA cuisine.
A serious family man and father to four sons—gathering for not only a Southern meal, but one that surrounds watching a football game sounds pretty ideal for father and son bonding time. Besh is offering up his tips for a Super Bowl bash fit with Southern fare and good ambiance. Also, Besh breaks from his busy schedule often to go fishing with his sons—a favorite past time, which you’ll notice in his menu selections.
Here they are—Chef John Besh’s Tips for a Successful Super Bowl Bash:
1. Do as much preparation as possible so once your guests arrive, you're able to enjoy their company and the moment.
2. Its fun to create two cocktails or non-alcoholic drinks that represent the cities that are playing in the Super Bowl. We like to have taste challenges to see if the better of the two drinks will predict the winner of the game. You can set the drinks out at a bar for guests to assemble when they arrive.
3. A playlist of your favorite upbeat music is imperative so that when the game gets boring you can turn down the volume on the TV and turn up the stereo. For a real New Orleans style sound, we love the Rebirth Brass Band and Big Sam's Funky Nation.
4. As big New Orleans Saints fans, touch football in the back yard before the game is a must in our household!
"BIG Easy” Style Super Bowl Menu
Crabmeat Bon Bons
Fried Chipotle Shrimp Tacos
Crispy Shrimp Pockets
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts