- Albert Roux born
- Piereogi Day
Hurricane Cocktail Recipe
- Crushed ice or ice cubes
- 3 ounces White Zinfandel, preferably Sutter Home
- 1 ½ ounces dark rum
- 1 ½ ounces almond liqueur
- 1 ½ ounces passion fruit or guava juice
- 1 ½ freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ ounce pomegranate juice
- ¾ freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 fresh orange slice, for garnish
- 1 fresh lemon slice, for garnish
- 1 maraschino cherry, for garnish
Legendary bar owner Pat O'Brien gets credit for creating the original Hurricane during the 1940's. Our version adds fruity White Zinfandel to the mix in place of some of the traditional spirits. The glasses, shaped like globes of hurricane lamps, are essential for capturing the essence of the drink; they're readily available from numerous online shopping sites. The drinks should be made one at a time, so the proportions are listed for a single serving.
Adapted from "Burger Parties: Recipes from Sutter Home Winery’s Build a Better Burger Contest" by James McNair and Jeffrey Starr.
Add crushed ice or ice cubes to half-fill a 15-ounce hurricane glass. Combine all the liquid ingredients in a shaker with a handful of ice and shake vigorously. Strain into the glass, garnish with the fruit slices and cherry, and serve.