- Mollie (Moosewood) Katzen born (1950)
How to Throw a Party for Carnival
We head to SushiSamba for tips on creating the perfect Brazilian bash
Recipe of the day
- Burger King’s Halloween Whopper and Resulting Green Poop Are Now a Couple’s Halloween Costume
- 20 Easy Holiday Party Ideas
- Remember the Catalina Wine Mixer from Step Brothers? It Actually Happened This Weekend
- Kensington Palace Recreates 300-Year-Old Ice Cream Recipe From the Georgian Era
- Birthday Party Ideas for Kids Who Love the Kitchen
Americans typically associate the revelry before Lent with Mardi Gras, but worldwide the biggest celebration of the holiday that most refer to as Carnival is in Brazil. During the weeklong festivities the whole country is overtaken with the holiday, which is celebrated with feasts, parades, costumes, and dancing.
So where better to get the inside scoop on how to throw your own party for Carnival than SushiSamba? We spoke to Sean McCloskey about his best tips for making the party feel as authentic as possible. His first must-have is drinks. A Carnival party must serve "anything that is cachaça-based like a caipirinha," he says. He suggests that if you want to make something beyond the typical caipirinha, you could add tropical flavors like tangerine or lime.
In terms of food, he suggests serving "things that are very big in the brazilian cultures, like antichucos, which are skewers of meat or fish." And for décor there must be some green decorations, and perhaps even a few Brazilian flags.
For more, watch the video above, and if you want to go to a ready-made Carnival celebration you can head to SushiSamba in New York, Miami, Chicago, Las Vegas, or London!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts