How to Pick Someone Up at a Coffee Shop
Recipe of the day
- Starbucks Is Introducing a S’mores Frappuccino on April 28
- All Those Single-Serve Coffee Pods Are Hurting Coffee Farmers
- America’s 50 Best Coffee Shops
- Expanded Starbucks College Plan Offers Full Tuition at Arizona State University for All Employees
- Excessive Iced Tea Habit Blamed for Man’s Kidney Failure
Coffee shops can be great, unassuming places to meet people, and it can be much less intimidating to approach someone there than at a bar.
People in coffee shops are usually there to read, get some work done, catch up with a friend, or sit quietly and people watch. Unlike at bars, where there is sexual tension in the air and the constant pressure of trying to find someone, people at coffee shops are generally more approachable and relaxed, and it's easy to start a conversation with someone without feeling like you're playing some elaborate pick-up game.
But how to break the ice? Below are ten suggestions on how to start a conversation with someone over lattes.
1. "Can I borrow your plug?"
Competition for outlets can get pretty fierce at coffee shops. Such an easy way to start a conversation! Also a good excuse for sitting right next to someone — extension cords can only extend so far.
2. "Accidentally" steal their drink
"Oh sorry — I didn't realize this said 'Marcia' on the side, let me buy you another one..."
3. "Can you watch my stuff for a minute?"
Sure they will! And then you can start a conversation when you get back from the bathroom or getting some napkins you didn't really need. (Possible backfire: they actually steal your stuff.)
4. Either get really into the music or really visibly hate it
"I love this song," or a horrified "...is this Pure Moods Volume 3?" are equally good ice-breakers.
5. Get a really huge brownie or cookie
And then say you can't finish the whole thing, and offer to share (even if, who are we kidding, of course you could finish the whole thing).
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts