5 Surprising Thanksgiving Facts

You’ll get a kick out of these surprising Thanksgiving facts

Shutterstock

Can you believe that turkey was not served at the original Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanksgiving brings families together for a scrumptious meal, good conversation, and an abundance of laughter. Some families read inspirational quotes and others tell jokes, but one sure way to get the conversation flowing is by sharing some surprising Thanksgiving facts. The history of Thanksgiving is taught to every first-grade class, but there’s a lot more to this American holiday than you may think. You probably know a few surprising Thanksgiving facts, but we’re sure the ones we’ve collected below will make you smile.

The First Foods Served

Lobster, rabbit, chicken, fish, squash, beans, chestnuts, hickory nuts, onions, leeks, dried fruits, maple syrup and honey, radishes, cabbage, carrots, eggs, and goat cheese are thought to have made up the first Thanksgiving feast.

The Founding Dishes Versus Modern-Day Favorites

Mashed potatoes, pumpkin pies, popcorn, milk, corn on the cob, and cranberries were not present at the first Thanksgiving.

Internationally Celebrated

Although Thanksgiving is widely considered to be an American holiday, Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October.

That’s a Big Bird
The average Thanksgiving turkey weighs 16 pounds (seven kilograms), according to the National Turkey Federation. White meat makes up 70 percent of turkeys, while dark meat makes up the other 30 percent. In case you are wondering, white meat has fewer calories and less fat than dark meat (for all those dieters trying to make it through the holidays). — Live Science

The Pilgrims Did Not Use Forks

At the time of the first Thanksgiving, forks had not been invented. Instead, the pilgrims ate with spoons, knives, and their fingers. It wasn’t until a decade later that forks were introduced, and they only began to catch on in the eighteenth century].