Guy Fieri Awarded Honorary Doctorate at Alma Mater
Recipe of the day
- Acclaimed Chef Peter Chang is Opening a Fast-Casual Concept called Peter Chang Wok
- Obese Chef Dropped Nearly 300 Pounds After His Friend Sent Him Mean Texts Every Day for Six Weeks
- Alex Guarnaschelli Talks Her Upcoming Restaurant and Love for Chocolate
- Australian Celebrity Chef Mark Best Brings Down-Under 'Bistronomy' to Sydney
- Watch: Cronut Creator Dominique Ansel on the Nature of Invention
Looks like Guy Fieri has a new title now: In addition to king of flavortown, he's also Doctor Fieri.
Fieri's alma mater University of Nevada, Las Vegas awarded Fieri with an honorary doctorate during the UNLV fall commencement on Dec. 18, rewarding him for his "public service, for maintaining a strong connection with UNLV students, and for supporting hotel college fundraising efforts," the UNLV newscenter says.
Fieri, who attended the Harrah Hotel College for hospitality, noted that the doctorate might have beat out opening a restaurant in New York (and getting slammed by Pete Wells). Last year, Fieri was named Harrah Hotel College alumnus of the year, and this year he spoke to more than 2,000 graduating students about his experiences.
"To get the honorary doctorate is amazing," Fieri said. "I’ve had some great things happen in my career, but this is at the top." As we mentioned, inadvertent winner of the year.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts