Guy Fieri Awarded Honorary Doctorate at Alma Mater
Recipe of the day
- Marc Forgione on His Cookbook, Abolishing Tips, and His Favorite Vodka
- Noma Documentary Launches Indiegogo Campaign
- Pete Wells Awards No Stars to Javelina, Shows Off His Backhand
- April Bloomfield in Talks for Elaborate 4-Story Restaurant with a Rooftop in Downtown Manhattan
- The Daily Meal Talks Career, Cuisine, and Contributions with Stephan Pyles
Looks like Guy Fieri has a new title now: In addition to king of flavortown, he's also Doctor Fieri.
Fieri's alma mater University of Nevada, Las Vegas awarded Fieri with an honorary doctorate during the UNLV fall commencement on Dec. 18, rewarding him for his "public service, for maintaining a strong connection with UNLV students, and for supporting hotel college fundraising efforts," the UNLV newscenter says.
Fieri, who attended the Harrah Hotel College for hospitality, noted that the doctorate might have beat out opening a restaurant in New York (and getting slammed by Pete Wells). Last year, Fieri was named Harrah Hotel College alumnus of the year, and this year he spoke to more than 2,000 graduating students about his experiences.
"To get the honorary doctorate is amazing," Fieri said. "I’ve had some great things happen in my career, but this is at the top." As we mentioned, inadvertent winner of the year.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts