- Sylvester (Crackers) Graham born (1794)
Green with Envy Cheesecake Bars
- 1 1/2 Cup chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (from about 30 cookies)
- 1/3 Cup butter, melted
- Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon pure peppermint extract, preferably McCormick
- 1/2 Teaspoon green food coloring, preferably McCormick
- 3 eggs
- 2 Ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
These cheesecake bars — with contrasting layers of green, white, and black — get a hint of sophistication from rich dark chocolate and refreshing pure peppermint extract.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together the cookie crumbs and butter. Press firmly onto the bottom of a foil-lined 9-inch square baking pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Beat the cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add the sour cream and peppermint extract; mix well. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour ½ of the batter over the crust. Tint the remaining batter green with the food coloring. Pour over the white batter in the pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cool completely on wire rack.
Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Lift out of the pan onto cutting board. Cut into bars. Drizzle the bars with melted chocolate. Store leftover bars in the refrigerator.