Fried Oyster Po'Boys
- 4 small French bread loaves
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 1 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon sweet-hot pickle relish
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 Teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 3/4 Teaspoons salt
- 3/4 Teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 Cups fresh standard oysters, drained
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, as needed
Serve these big sandwiches for a filling lunch or casual supper. If oysters aren’t on hand, these are just as good with fried shrimp.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet, and place in oven. Split bread loaves lengthwise, and scoop out most of centers. Reserve for another use. Place hollowed-out loaves on wire rack in oven, and warm 20 minutes (until you’re ready to assemble the sandwiches).
Meanwhile, pour vegetable oil to depth of 1-inch in a large Dutch oven and heat to 375 degrees F.
Combine the mayonnaise and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Combine crackers, salt, and pepper in a second bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in a third bowl.
Dip oysters in buttermilk mixture; dredge in cracker crumbs. Fry in hot oil in 2 batches, 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
Remove bread from oven. Spread cut sides of loaves with mayonnaise mixture; fill with oysters and shredded lettuce.
Calories per serving:1,621 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Alcohol Free