Feeding the Soul to Aid Japan
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
As the devastating aftermath of the 8.9-magnitude earthquake that hit Japan March 11th continues to unfold, chefs and mixologists across the U.S. are offering support the best way they know how, through special promotions and fundraising efforts. These restaurants are collecting funds to aid disaster relief efforts:
• Sprinkles Cupcakery will donate all proceeds from their Red Cross Red Velvet cupcakes to benefit relief efforts in Japan.
• Many of SushiSamba's executive chefs hail from Japan. The restaurant is serving a variety of Japan Relief rolls to benefit disaster efforts. Locations across New York, Chicago, Miami, and Las Vegas will offer unique creations and donate all proceeds from them to the Red Cross during March.
• Bakers are organizing a national bake sale on April 2nd to raise money for relief. Participants include L.A.'s Black Cat Bakery, Barista in Portland, and SPQR in San Francisco.
• Martha Stewart and Wynton Marsalis are joining the owners of EN Japanese Brasserie for Love for Japan, a benefit taking place at the restaurant on Wednesday.
• Terroir started offering Yoshi Fried Chicken and the Yoshiyuki Nonaka Cocktail at all of their locations in honor of Yoshi Nonaka, a line cook at their sister restaurant, Hearth. Proceeds from both of these items will be donated to relief efforts.
• Mikuni Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar is offering the "Rescue Roll" at all of their locations throughout March. All proceeds will be donated directly to the American Red Cross.
• Mesón 923 is offering two Japanese Earthquake Relief specials: a Louisiana-inspired ramen and a lemongrass sake gimlet. Proceeds from both will be donated to the Japanese Red Cross.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts