- St. Martha: Patron of Dieticians
Everyone Will Be Drinking Guinness This St. Patrick's Day (Whether They Like It or Not)
Recipe of the day
Most popular Stories
- Only 11 Brewers Produce 90 Percent of American Beer
- The 50 Best Craft Breweries in America for 2015
- A Nationwide Hops Shortage Spells Trouble for the US Beer Industry
- Record-Breaking 366-Tap Beer Garden Opens in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Lululemon Has a Summer Lager with Vancouver’s Stanley Park Brewery
Everyone's mind automatically goes to Guinness when they think of a drink order for St. Patrick's Day (even though there are plenty of craft beer options here in America), but new research shows that Guinness may have become too romanticized in its home country.
The study from Northumbria University claims that the Irish feel compelled to be drinking Guinness on St. Paddy's Day, even if they abstain from the stuff the other 364 days of the year. The author of the study, marketing lecturer Matthew Kearney, analyzed the shopping habits of 70 Irish people in their 20s and 30s, and found that St. Paddy's Day is the biggest day to go for broke; the people studied even maxed out credit cards and borrowed from friends to meet the demands of the holiday.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts