Everyone Will Be Drinking Guinness This St. Patrick's Day (Whether They Like It or Not)
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- We’re Shocked: Young People Are Starting to Choose Wine and Liquor Over Beer
- 6 Reasons Beer Is Good for You
- Norwegian Festival Fights Binge Drinking with Cheap Beer
- MillerCoors Sued for Portraying Blue Moon as Craft Beer Worthy of Premium Price Tag
- These Rugby Players Got Tooth Implants That Double as Bottle Openers
Everyone's mind automatically goes to Guinness when they think of a drink order for St. Patrick's Day (even though there are plenty of craft beer options here in America), but new research shows that Guinness may have become too romanticized in its home country.
The study from Northumbria University claims that the Irish feel compelled to be drinking Guinness on St. Paddy's Day, even if they abstain from the stuff the other 364 days of the year. The author of the study, marketing lecturer Matthew Kearney, analyzed the shopping habits of 70 Irish people in their 20s and 30s, and found that St. Paddy's Day is the biggest day to go for broke; the people studied even maxed out credit cards and borrowed from friends to meet the demands of the holiday.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts