- Craig Claiborne born (1920)
Endangered Key Deer Gets Stuck in Doritos Bag
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- This Restaurant Made a Trump Burger to Celebrate the UK’s National Burger Day
- Which Mayonnaise-Heavy Condiment is Called ‘American Sauce’ in Germany?
- This Pastrami Ice Cream Sandwich Turns the New York Deli Staple on Its Head
- 101 Best Food Trucks in America 2015
- Four & Twenty Blackbirds: Why Brooklyn is Their Home
At the National Key Deer Refuge in Big Pine Key, Fla., feeding the Key deer is strictly prohibited.
Which perhaps suggests why one Key deer sought to discover the true crunch of Doritos on its own, then proceeded to get its head stuck in the bag.
Early Sunday morning, two Florida deputies spotted the endangered deer on the side of the road, trapped in a Doritos bag. Before assisting the poor thing, Deputy Joshua Gordon snapped a picture on his cellphone.
“It must have wanted that last chip in the bottom of the bag,” Deputy Becky Herrin told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
Judging by the color of the bag, it seemed to be the Doritos DINAMITA Chile Limon Rolled Flavored Tortilla Chips that grabbed the deer's attention.
The deer fully cooperated with the officers approaching it and removing the bag, then it immediately scampered away. It probably won’t experiment with processed snacks anytime soon.
According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Key deer count is down to approximately 800.
Maybe it is safer when the humans just feed the animals.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts