End-of-the-World Party Tips From Beaumarchais
Today on The Daily Meal
Known for their delectable French cuisine, glamorous parties, and outrageous weekend brunches, New York City's Beaumarchais doesn't skimp on the holidays. The brasserie is famous for indulging in all things excess, from its decadent menu to its indulgent Beau Brunch that brings the French Riviera to New York City’s Meatpacking District.
What’s next on their list? But of course, a Mayan Calendar End-of-the-World Party on Dec. 21. Guests can expect Mayan-themed decorations and costumes, Mayan dancers, apocalypse movies projected onto the walls, and special themed dishes and drinks. If we survive, you better believe there’s a celebration for that, too — the Survival Brunch the next day.
If you can't make it to the restaurant and you want to throw your own soirée, Beaumarchais is suggesting that you go all out, so you can turn the party into a night your guests will never forget.
Here are a few tips from Vincent Vendemini, Beaumarchais' general manager, on how to throw a blow-out end-of-the-world bash:
• First, food is key. Whether it's a sit-down dinner or passed hors d'oeuvres, flavor is important... use authentic spices and offer decadent and rich items. If the world's going to end, you might as well end satisfied!
• Same goes for the drinks; we like champagne here at Beaumarchais but we definitely suggest having a diversified bar for your guests with one pre-mixed signature cocktail, perhaps a Mayan Margarita, that guests can just pour and go.
• Encourage your guests to dress the part! Bright colors in Mayan patterns will brighten up the party, as will decorations in the same vein.
• Traditional Mayan music never really made it into mainstream U.S. pop culture, so create a party playlist to keep guests dancing and throw some themed classics in there, i.e. REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It."
• Finally, plan a midnight surprise for guests after you make it through the apocalypse... hand out sparklers and light them up, take a round of shots, whatever! It's time to celebrate.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts