- Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 Pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 Cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- Pinch of herbs de Provence
- 2 Tablespoons capers, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flat bread, for serving
Caponata is an authentic Italian dish of stewed eggplant and other seasonings. Chef John Brandt-Lee of Avalon Restaurant uses crispy flat bread as a vehicle for enjoying the savory mixture.
Add the olive oil to a large sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until a light golden brown. Add the onions, peppers, and eggplant and sauté until soft (depending on how old the eggplant is it may soak up the oil. Have extra oil on hand and add as needed). Push the vegetables to 1 side of the pan and on the other side add the vinegar and sugar. Once sugar dissolves, stir the vegetables and liquid together. Add the herbs de Provence and capers and cook for 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. You should have a nice balance between sweetness of the sugar and the acidity of the vinegar. You can adjust the taste to your liking by adding more of either ingredient. Serve on flatbread.