- Eid al Fitr(Ramadan ends)
Earth Day Specials: Restaurant Roundup
Recipe of the day
With Earth Day this Friday, restaurants across the U.S. are celebrating with special meals to demonstrate environmental consciousness. Some are conserving energy by turning out the lights during dinner, while others are encouraging diners to bring their own dishware. Read on for more.
• To conserve energy on the evening of Earth Day, Cadaqués in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, invites guests to a "lights-out" dinner. The restaurant's lights will be shut off throughout dinner and patrons are being asked to bring votives and candles to light their meal. A vegetarian tasting menu will be offered to accompany the Earth Day theme.
• The Setai in South Beach is partnering with the Environmental Coalition of Miami and the Beaches to create a menu of locally sourced ingredients. Twenty percent of the dinner's proceeds will benefit ECOMB.
• Area 31's five-course tasting on Earth Day will feature locally sourced ingredients, including regionally produced vegetables and cheeses.
• Eve will offer a 10% discount to diners who can prove they used an environmentally-friendly mode of transportation to get there.
• Tampopo Restaurant is asking diners planning to enjoy their ramen specialties to bring their own bowls in an effort to "Save the mother earth and fifty cents."
• The Butcher's Block Market at Brabo will offer a free tasting of organic and biodynamic wines on the evening of Earth Day.
• Domaso Trattoria Moderna will serve an environmentally-conscious three-course tasting menu during the week leading up to Earth Day.
• Bread & Brew is going vegan for Earth Day, offering meat, egg, and dairy-free items all day.
• KO is offering a prix-fixe menu featuring sustainable ingredients throughout the week leading up to Earth Day.
• Craigie on Main will offer a four-course prix fixe from Thursday through Sunday that will change daily based on the freshest ingredients available each day. Proceeds will benefit Chef's Collaborative.
• 606 Congress will offer an Earth Day dinner inspired by sustainably caught, local seafood.
• Chens Chinese and Sushi special menu will feature dishes that are the color green, including green vegetable dumplings and green tea ice cream.
• All of the restaurants within Mario Batali and Lidia and Joe Bastianich's restaurant group, B&B Hospitality Group will celebrate Earth Day in various ways. Highlights at the restaurants, which span New York, Las Vegas, and L.A., include a local whole-hog menu (including desserts), a menu featuring seafood biodiversity, and a take-home packet of arugula seeds.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts