- Moldy Cheese Day
Dot Domilise of Domilise’s Po-Boys in New Orleans Dies
Recipe of the day
- A Michelin-Star Chef Is Making a Burger at a Shake Shack in London for 1 Day Only
- 10 Unique KFC Meals from Around the World
- Rooms with a Story: A Grand Swiss Hotel Brings History to Life
- This Restaurant Made a Trump Burger to Celebrate the UK’s National Burger Day
- Which Mayonnaise-Heavy Condiment is Called ‘American Sauce’ in Germany?
On Friday, June 14th, 2013, Dot Domilise of Domilise’s Po-Boys in New Orleans died of congestive heart failure at the age of ninety.
Domilise was renown in New Orleans, not only for her sandwiches, but also for the compassion and generosity she showed to her customers.
“Several regulars said she knew them—and their tastes – so well that she knew exactly what they wanted as soon as they stepped inside the restaurant,” reported Nola.com.
“She loved everything about her customers. She loved their families. She loved their lives. She went to their weddings, and she went to their funerals,” explained Domilise’s granddaughter Jamie Henry.
Domilise also gained celebrity from her grandson, chef and reality television star Anthony Bourdain, who interviewed her on his television show.Dot inherited the restaurant from her husband, who took it over when his own parents died. Although Domilise’s will temporarily close so that the family can mourn their loss, they will continue serving their famous po-boys beginning on Wednesday, June 19th.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts