Domino’s is dealing with some customer blowback after its founder filed suit against the federal government on Friday over Obamacare’s contraceptive coverage requirement. Tom Monaghan, who founded the chain in 1960, did file the suit, but Domino’s maintains that he sold the brand years ago and they have absolutely nothing to do with the case.
According to the Huffington Post, Monaghan, a devout Catholic, is arguing that contraception isn’t health care but a “gravely immoral” practice. He says requiring him to offer health care coverage that includes birth control violates his rights.
The plaintiffs listed in the suit are Monaghan and Domino’s Farms, an office park he owns in Michigan. Domino’s Pizza is not named, and the company has since taken to social media to disavow any association with the suit.
“Reports indicating we are part of Tom Monaghan’s lawsuit are 100% wrong. Monaghan sold Domino’s in ’98 & has no ties to us,” said the Domino’s Pizza Twitter account.
“Earlier this week, news stories came out that Domino's Pizza founder Tom Monaghan had filed suit against the federal government regarding healthcare. Since that time, the story has been widely misreported to indicate Domino’s was involved in this action, which is completely untrue,” Domino’s Facebook page expanded. “Tom Monaghan sold Domino’s Pizza in 1998 and today has NO active affiliation with our company.”
Monaghan sold Domino’s Pizza to Bain Capital in 1998. It went public in 2004.