Dinosaur Bar-B-Que's 'Mutha Sauce' Recipe
Daily Value: 4%
Low-Fat-Abs, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free, Egg-Free, Milk-Free, Peanut-Free, Tree-Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
|Folic Acid (B9)||11µg||3%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||2g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||1g||0%|
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
From the popular restaurant chain Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, this mother hen of a sauce sure knows how to roost her chicks. It's featured throughout the restaurant's cookbook, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse, and is a classic barbecue sauce that will perfectly douse any dish you're making.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Pinch of each kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- One 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cayenne sauce
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke (optional)
Pour the oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers, and jalapeños and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Swirl in the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge til ready to use.
Recipe DetailsServings: 24
Special Designations: Vegetarian
Be a Part of the Conversation
Have something to say?
Add a comment (or see what others think).