D'Artagnan's Roasted Wild Turkey Breast with Fall Vegetables Recipe
- Bone-in wild turkey breast from one 6–8-pound (or larger) wild turkey, wings removed
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 2–3 baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2–3 carrots, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2–3 turnips, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1½ to 2 plus cups chicken stock
Serve this roasted turkey breast as a main course with D'Artagnan's Braised Wild Turkey Ragu recipe as an appetizer.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Rub turkey with a small amount of the oil. Season generously with salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour remaining oil into a gratin dish or shallow baking dish large enough to hold turkey. Scatter potatoes, carrots, turnips, and garlic in pan, then put turkey, skin side up, on top of vegetables.
Transfer pan to oven. After 7–10 minutes, pour about ½ cup of the chicken stock over breast. Continue basting every 7–10 minutes, adding the remaining stock by ½ cupfuls. If liquid evaporates, add additional stock or water. Bake in oven until skin is golden brown and an instant meat thermometer registers 168–170 degrees. (A small breast requires about 1 hour.) Remove from pan and let stand 10–15 minutes before cutting into slices. If vegetables are not tender, return pan to oven while turkey rests.
Spoon some roasted vegetables and pan juices onto each plate, and serve.
Calories per serving:2,995 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added