- California Wine Month begins
The Cronut Arrives in Houston
Recipe of the day
Most popular Stories
- This Restaurant Made a Trump Burger to Celebrate the UK’s National Burger Day
- Which Mayonnaise-Heavy Condiment is Called ‘American Sauce’ in Germany?
- This Pastrami Ice Cream Sandwich Turns the New York Deli Staple on Its Head
- 101 Best Food Trucks in America 2015
- Four & Twenty Blackbirds: Why Brooklyn is Their Home
New York City is going crazy over the new obsessed-about dessert, the cronut. People have been paying upwards of $100 dollars for the delicious blend of a donut and croissant. Culture Map Houston reports that now the sweet treat is also available in the Houston area.
At Penas Donut Heaven and Grill in Shadow Creek Ranch, baker Raymond Pena has created his version of the dessert, the “dosant.” At just $3.50 apiece, the spin off is flying off the shelves.
Pena is a 20-year firefighter veteran who attributes his baking skills to his mother, who he assisted while she owned and managed a Shipley Donut franchise. Pena had not heard about the cronut until his brother-in-law told him about it. He searched for it online and then began working on perfecting his own version.
His concept took him a week and a half long to perfect, and he is now producing about 70 ‘dosants’ a day, all of which are selling out. As of now, there are two flavors available: cream cheese and strawberry cream cheese. Because of the high demand, he hopes to increase production and add more flavors.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts