The Cronut Arrives in Houston
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- Best Turkey Tips for Thanksgiving
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
New York City is going crazy over the new obsessed-about dessert, the cronut. People have been paying upwards of $100 dollars for the delicious blend of a donut and croissant. Culture Map Houston reports that now the sweet treat is also available in the Houston area.
At Penas Donut Heaven and Grill in Shadow Creek Ranch, baker Raymond Pena has created his version of the dessert, the “dosant.” At just $3.50 apiece, the spin off is flying off the shelves.
Pena is a 20-year firefighter veteran who attributes his baking skills to his mother, who he assisted while she owned and managed a Shipley Donut franchise. Pena had not heard about the cronut until his brother-in-law told him about it. He searched for it online and then began working on perfecting his own version.
His concept took him a week and a half long to perfect, and he is now producing about 70 ‘dosants’ a day, all of which are selling out. As of now, there are two flavors available: cream cheese and strawberry cream cheese. Because of the high demand, he hopes to increase production and add more flavors.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts