- M.F.K. Fisher born (1908)
Cranberry Citrus Relish
- 12 Ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 1/4 Cup sugar, plus more to taste
- 1/2 Cup red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 Cup crystallized ginger
- 1 orange, unpeeled, sliced into discs, and seeded
- 1 lemon, unpeeled, sliced into discs, and seeded
- 1/4 Cup golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
The recipe has been voted into our Hall of Fame. It is simply delicious, very textural, and as beautiful to look at as it is to eat. And thank God, it doesn't require a mold. It can easily be doubled and likely should be if you are serving more than 12 people.
See all cranberry recipes.
Set aside ½ cup cranberries and empty the rest into a saucepan. Add the sugar, red wine, cinnamon stick, crystallized ginger, orange, lemon, golden raisins, and water.
Cook over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries soften, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and cook until the cranberries burst, about 12 more minutes.
Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the reserved cranberries. Add more sugar and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let cool to room temperature before serving.