Close your eyes and imagine this: sun shining, drink in hand, flavor-packed burger on the grill beside you.
Now open your eyes and flip those patties over, because this dream has become a reality. With glimpses of sunshine making an appearance nowadays, it’s time to get in the grilling mode. Although I made these copycat Trader Joe’s patties on a pan inside, doing it grill-style is a totally acceptable, and even preferable option.
Maybe you’ve seen these Chili Lime Burgers while making your weekly rounds through the aisles of Trader Joe’s, but try making them at home this time around.
I promise, the results will have you singing “Margaritaville” and reaching for another.
(Shout out to Iowa Girl Eats for the recipe inspiration)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 burgers
1 lb ground chicken
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup diced green onions
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons minced garlic
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 package guacamole
4 slices pepper jack cheese
4 buns of choice
1. Combine chicken, red pepper, green onions, cilantro, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and juices from half of a lime in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Using hands, mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Divide meat into four equal portions. Form into four patties.
4. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat.
5. Add patties to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
6. Top with slices of pepper jack cheese and cover pan with large lid to allow cheese to melt.
7. Remove patties from pan, top with guacamole and place on bun of choice.
Check out more good stuff from Spoon University here: