- Peach Month begins
- Sandwich Month begins
- 1 1/2 Pound conch, shelled
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch thyme, stemmed and chopped finely
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped finely
- 1 small bunch mint, stemmed and chopped finely
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Ounce baking powder
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for frying
Conch fritters are a popular appetizer and snack throughout the Cayman Islands and the Bahamas. For maximum island flavor, serve with Pickapeppa sauce or, even better, Scotch bonnet chile pepper sauce, which adds not only heat, but also a pleasant acidity.
In a bowl, mix together the conch and all of the vegetables. Add the eggs and dry ingredients. Form into roughly 1 ½-inch balls.
Fill a deep pot about 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees. Line a plate with paper towels. Add the conch fritters in batches and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.