Chocolate Braised Short Ribs
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Pounds short ribs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/3 quart chicken stock
- 1 Cup port
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 Ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- Foil-Baked Salmon with Mango, Chile, and Lime
- Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Cucumber
- Grilled Swordfish Sliders
- Cinnamon-Scented Millet with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Blossoms
- Grilled Swordfish with Thai Dipping Sauce
- Bacon and Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 'No-Name' Hot Dog
- Grilled Fish with Watermelon Salsa
There isn't a whole lot of cocoa powder that goes onto these short ribs, but this is one case where a little goes a long way. The chocolate flavor infuses the cooking liquid and the meat soaks it all up overnight, resulting in a complexity of flavor that just wouldn't be there without the combination of chocolate and port.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Heat the oil in a sauté pan or Dutch oven over high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, to taste. When the oil is hot, add the short ribs and sear on all sides, about 10-12 minutes. Coat the short ribs with the cocoa powder, turning them with tongs.
Add the chicken stock and port and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and place in the oven until the short ribs are tender, about 3 hours. Remove from the oven, let cool in the liquid, and place in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, remove the solidified fat from the top of the cooking liquid. Remove the short ribs from the cooking liquid and set aside. Place the pot back over the stove and add the carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes. Cover with the lid, and bring to a simmer over high heat.
Then, reduce the heat to low to maintain the simmer. Cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the short ribs back into the pot to warm through, about 5-7 minutes.
Calories per serving:2,421 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Carb Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free