Chicken Spaghetti with Garlicky Tomato Sauce
- 2 butter
- 1 1/2 chicken drumsticks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 spaghetti
- 2 heads garlic, cloves thinly sliced
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with basil
- 2 chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Foil-Baked Salmon with Mango, Chile, and Lime
- Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Cucumber
- Grilled Swordfish Sliders
- Cinnamon-Scented Millet with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Blossoms
- Grilled Swordfish with Thai Dipping Sauce
- Bacon and Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 'No-Name' Hot Dog
- Grilled Fish with Watermelon Salsa
If it's garlicky flavor you're looking for, then this is the pasta dish for you. Or, if you just want to chase people around breathing "gaaah-lic..." on them, that's fine, too. There's nothing to get in the way of the intense flavor here; only a few ingredients that help it stand out. So if you're short on ingredients and want an easy, flavorful pasta dish, then I think this is worth a try.
It is a bit time-consuming, admittedly, but sometimes intense flavors take time to develop. For a healthier dish, feel free to substitute olive oil for the butter.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Melt the butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken to the pan and brown lightly on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add the pasta. Cook according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water, and set aside.
Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside to cool. To the same pan, add the garlic and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure none of the garlic sticks to the pan. Add the tomatoes and stir, breaking them apart with a wooden spoon. Season aggressively with pepper.
Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pick the meat off the bone and discard the bones. Add the chicken to warm through and stir well to combine.
Add the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce to the desired consistency. Toss the pasta together with the sauce and serve garnished with parsley.
Calories per serving:120 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Sodium Sugar Conscious, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added, No Sugar Added