Cheese: Most Popular Stolen Food
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- Best Turkey Tips for Thanksgiving
- McDonald’s Hires Ex-MythBuster to Improve Self-Image
News media tends to cover people stuffing food down their pants, so we've had the impression that people tend to steal lobster, raw meat, and booze. But apparently we've had it all wrong.
According to the Centre for Retail Research, cheese is the most stolen item, with a "loss percentage" of 3.09 percent worldwide. Fresh meat, candies and chocolates, and luxury cooked meat follow behind. The latter three make sense, but cheese? Perhaps it's because cheese lasts longer than meat and is more filling than chocolates. There is that cheese that goes for $700 a pound.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts