- Lorenzo Delmonico born (1881)
Charred Zucchini Salsa Verde
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 4 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 3 large jalapenos, halved and seeded
- 2 large poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1 Teaspoon cayenne sauce
- Honey, to taste (optional)
In this riff on the tart tomatillo salsa, zucchini, onions, and peppers are blackened on the grill, then seasoned with lime juice, cayenne, and a touch of honey. This hot sauce is perfect for barbecues and ideal for topping your favorite tacos, bean burgers, or sandwiches. This recipe comes to us from Donna of Fab Frugal Food.
See all zucchini recipes.
Preheat a gas grill on medium-high heat or prepare a charcoal grill.
Lightly spray the zucchini, onion, tomatillos, jalapeños, and poblano peppers with cooking spray. Place on the grill for 5-7 minutes, and flip and cook 5-7 more minutes, or until the vegetable skins begin to char and the vegetables are cooked through.
Place the charred zucchini, onion, tomatillos, jalapeños, poblano peppers, lime zest and juice, salt, and cayenne sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Process until very smooth. Add honey, to taste, if using. Serve at room temperature.