Spice up your normal breakfast or brunch with these decadent and easy-to-make beauties featured on the minimalistbaker.com . This is also a great way to sneak in a serving of vegetables for breakfast.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 8-9 pancakes
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or another whole grain flour or gluten-free all purpose flour)
2 tablespoons organic sugar
1/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut, divided (also known as “dessicated” coconut)
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
pinch sea salt
1 cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, flax, etc. will suffice)
1 heaping tablespoon non-dairy butter, melted (I like Earth Balance, which can be found at Wegmans and GreenStar Natural Foods Market)
1/2 cup finely grated carrot
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons crushed walnuts or pecans for topping (optional)
1. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and 2 tablespoons shredded coconut in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Pour non-dairy milk into a large liquid measuring cup. Add melted butter, vanilla, and whisk to combine. Add wet to dry and stir.
3. Stir in carrot and let batter rest for 5 minutes while preheating skillet to medium heat.
4. Once skillet is hot, lightly grease the surface with non-stick spray or non-dairy butter and spoon on 1/4 cup measurements of batter; there should be 9 cakes. Top each pancake with a sprinkle of crushed walnuts and flip when bubbles appear and the edges look slightly dry.
5. Cook for another couple minutes on the other side. Keep warm in a 200F oven until all pancakes are cooked.
6. Serve with Earth Balance, shredded coconut and warm (real) maple syrup.