Let Me Eat Cake
Since we’re full swing into the holiday season, it’s not surprising that Nov. 26 is National Cake Day — in the middle of all of the planning and the parties, why not celebrate the grand finale of every bash: cake and desserts?
While we all have our favorites — Sachertorte for us! — we must acknowledge some of the greats, since what is a soirée without a little slice of heaven?
Before we get down to the delicious details, here's a little cake history:
• "Modern" cake (sweet cake with icing) has been around since the Renaissance era
• The word cake comes from the Old Norse word "kaka"
• The world’s tallest cake was 108 feet tall and weighed 20 tons
• The oldest intact wedding cake is from 1898 and was baked during Queen Victoria reign
• The most expensive cake was $20 million and was bedazzled with diamonds
• Here’s a look at cakes throughout US history.
As for our favorite cakes, take a cue from our recipe box: