Cake: The Ultimate Sweet Treat
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
Since we’re full swing into the holiday season, it’s not surprising that Nov. 26 is National Cake Day — in the middle of all of the planning and the parties, why not celebrate the grand finale of every bash: cake and desserts?
While we all have our favorites — Sachertorte for us! — we must acknowledge some of the greats, since what is a soirée without a little slice of heaven?
Before we get down to the delicious details, here's a little cake history:
• "Modern" cake (sweet cake with icing) has been around since the Renaissance era
• The word cake comes from the Old Norse word "kaka"
• The world’s tallest cake was 108 feet tall and weighed 20 tons
• The oldest intact wedding cake is from 1898 and was baked during Queen Victoria reign
• The most expensive cake was $20 million and was bedazzled with diamonds
• Here’s a look at cakes throughout US history.
As for our favorite cakes, take a cue from our recipe box:
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts