Bride Sparks Controversy for Drinking a Beer
Recipe of the day
- The Best Food Safety Tips for Blizzards
- Gordon Ramsay and 9 Other Chefs Who Cheated Death
- Michael Moore, Seth Rogen Banned from Michigan Restaurant over ‘American Sniper’ Comments
- Healthy and Fast: Wholesome Meals You Can Make in 30 Minutes or Less
- What is the Most Nutritious Vegetable You Could Have?
- Budweiser Does It Again With Another Adorable Super Bowl Commercial
- Bud Light Wows With Life-Sized Pac-Man Game in Super Bowl Ad
- People in South Korea are Drinking Whipped Cream with Beer
- Legendary Horror Writer H.P. Lovecraft Inspires New Craft Beers
- Blue Moon is Releasing a White IPA and You Can Taste it First
Future brides, take note — if you're more of a beer-swiggin' gal than a wine-sipping chick, you're opening yourself to a world of criticism. One New Zealand bride entered in a national "bride of the year" contest is stirring up controversy for her drink choice.
After bride Katrina Hayman was featured on the front page of a local newspaper, Taranaki Daily News, drinking a beer, the online comments went awry with nasty comments about the bride. The event organizers for Taranaki Bride of the Year have asked the paper's editor and everyone involved to apologize.
As for the bride herself? She couldn't care less. Hayman, a pig midwife, said she was more comfortable drinking a beer than wine. Plus, she said, no one would have said a word if she had been drinking wine or champagne. "So what if I enjoy a Tui over drinking wine and I haven't hurt anybody doing that. Only a lot of jealous people would be negative, at the end of the day we are meant to be ourselves," she wrote in an online comment, reports New Zealand news web site.
MSNBC reported on an online poll in New Zealand that suggested that a bride drinking a beer would "absolutely" be becoming, with 64 percent voting yes. Another 24 percent said it'd be OK if it was out of a fancy glass, and another 13 percent said no way — it's "tacky."
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts