- Earl S. (Tupperware) Tupper born (1907)
Breweries Hit Historic Landmark
Recipe of the day
- Only 11 Brewers Produce 90 Percent of American Beer
- The 50 Best Craft Breweries in America for 2015
- A Nationwide Hops Shortage Spells Trouble for the US Beer Industry
- Record-Breaking 366-Tap Beer Garden Opens in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Lululemon Has a Summer Lager with Vancouver’s Stanley Park Brewery
This year, we're happy to toast the breweries of America: it's been announced that there are more breweries open in the U.S. now than at any other point in history.
The Beer Institute, an industry trade group, shared research that shows a record-breaking 2,751 breweries are now operating. In the last year alone, more than 400 breweries opened; California led the pack with 31 new breweries. Texas, Colorado, Illinois, and Washington all gained 28 or more breweries in 2012. Back in August, the Brewer's Assocation showed that means about one brewery was opening each day in 2012.
The statistics also showed a decline in the traditional "big beer" companies over the last few decades; only 20 have been operating since 2006, reports the Chicago Tribune. Whether you love Coors or craft beer, we can all toast to more beer!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts