- First espresso machine patented (1938)
Breweries Hit Historic Landmark
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Beer Made From River Water? It’ll Be Available in Boston
- This Is the Best Bar in America for Watching Football
- Boston Bar Owners Accepted Thousands From Beer Distributor to Exclude Competitor Brands
- Mother of Dragons! ‘Game of Thrones’ Limited-Edition Beers Will Be Re-Released This Fall
- 5 Flavored Beers That Shouldn't Exist
This year, we're happy to toast the breweries of America: it's been announced that there are more breweries open in the U.S. now than at any other point in history.
The Beer Institute, an industry trade group, shared research that shows a record-breaking 2,751 breweries are now operating. In the last year alone, more than 400 breweries opened; California led the pack with 31 new breweries. Texas, Colorado, Illinois, and Washington all gained 28 or more breweries in 2012. Back in August, the Brewer's Assocation showed that means about one brewery was opening each day in 2012.
The statistics also showed a decline in the traditional "big beer" companies over the last few decades; only 20 have been operating since 2006, reports the Chicago Tribune. Whether you love Coors or craft beer, we can all toast to more beer!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts