- We're independent! Let's cook out!
Bourbon Hot Chocolate
- 4 Cups whole milk
- 1 Cup chocolate syrup, homemade or Fox's U-Bet
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 Cup good-quality bourbon such as Maker's Mark
- 1 Cup half-and-half
To accompany the fall menu at Blue Ribbon Beer Garden, a heated terrace overlooking Allen Street on the Lower East Side, Chef/Owners Bruce and Eric Bromberg serve bourbon hot chocolate, a hot-cocktail alternative to seasonal brews. Their recipe recommends homemade chocolate syrup, but a store-bought one will work in a pinch. The perfect accompaniment to Blue Ribbon Beer Garden’s Bourbon Hot Chocolate? One of their homemade, melty chocolate-chip cookies.
1. Add milk, half-and-half, syrup, and cocoa powder to a pot or large saucepan
2. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until cocoa is fully incorporated and mixture barely comes to a simmer, 5-10 minutes
3. Whisk in bourbon and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and serve