Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili Recipe
Daily Value: 21%
Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free
|Folic Acid (B9)||385µg||96%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||4g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||2g||0%|
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
I've created a game day chili to please every palate. It's vegan … but you may not want to tell the guys beforehand! You can certainly serve it up with sour cream and cheese. But do try it without. I think you'll find this intriguing chili — with the surprise additions of butternut squash and pumpkin pie spice — doesn't need to be over-accessorized. The creamy avocado on top is a perfect finish.
See all butternut squash recipes.
- 2 teaspoons unrefined peanut or avocado oil
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar or lime juice
- One 15-ounce can crushed roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups finely diced butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, preferably organic, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 4 sprigs cilantro
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add the broth, vinegar, tomatoes, butternut squash, chili powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until all of the vegetables are softened, about 25 minutes.
Stir in the beans and simmer uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the desired consistency is reached, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped cilantro and adjust seasoning. Transfer to individual bowls, top with the avocado and cilantro sprigs, and serve.
Special Designations: Vegan, Vegetarian, Kid-friendly, Healthy