Black and White Nachos
- Half 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- Half 15-ounce can cannellini or other white beans, drained
- 1/3 Cup finely diced white onion
- 1 small jalapeño with some seeds, minced
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/8 Teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 Teaspoons grapeseed or canola oil
- Six 6-inch white corn tortillas
- 3/4 Cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Here, the toppings look rather artful instead of heavily plopped onto tortilla chips. It'll still be a palate-pleasing hit — and a party favorite. It's fit for a black-tie affair, an ultra-casual soirée, or just as a starter for a fun family meal. Feel free to use all white or black beans, if you prefer.
See all nacho recipes.
Stir together the beans, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, cumin, and chili powder, if using, in a medium-sized bowl. (Alternatively, stir together all of these ingredients except the beans. Divide into 2 bowls. Stir the black beans into 1 bowl and the white beans into the other.) Adjust seasoning. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining lime juice, oil, and the remaining salt until well combined. Rub or brush with a pastry brush the lime vinaigrette onto the entire surface of both sides of the tortillas, using all of the vinaigrette. Cut the tortillas into 4 wedges each.
Place the tortilla wedges in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until nearly crisp, about 12 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through the baking process.
Top each tortilla chip with ½ tablespoon of the cheese and bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes to crisp further.
Place the tortilla chips on a large platter. Stir the prepared bean-salsa mixture, then top each chip with about 1 tablespoon of the mixture, and serve.
Calories per serving:202 calories
Dietary restrictions:Balanced, High Fiber Sugar Conscious