Bison Sausage Ragù
- 1 Pound bison breakfast sausage
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 6 Tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Cup red wine
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, puréed with their juices
- 1/2 Cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 Pound cooked pasta, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
An easy way to impart authentic flavors into a ragù is to use bison breakfast sausage. Blended with its original seasonings, it becomes a flavorful component of an already flavorfully rich Italian pasta sauce.
In a medium sauté pan, brown the ground bison over medium-high heat, stirring often, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove the bison from the pan set aside in a bowl. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of excess drippings from pan and add the olive oil, onion, carrot, and parsley, and cook until the onions are golden brown, about 8 more minutes. Return the browned bison to pan, add the minced garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the cloves, tomato paste, and half of the red wine. Simmer until the wine has evaporated, about 8-10 minutes. Add the remaining wine and tomatoes. Simmer the sauce on low, stirring frequently, until it has a medium-thick consistency, about 1 ½ hours. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve topped with cooked pasta and garnished with grated cheese.
Prep Time: 20 minutes, Cook Time: 2 hours
Calories per serving:251 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free