Beef and Espresso Chili with Cayenne Cream Recipe
Daily Value: 15%
Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free, Tree-Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free, Alcohol-Free
|Folic Acid (B9)||103µg||26%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||5g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||1g||0%|
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
This chili is gluten-free and delicious. The flavor of espresso complements and enhances the flavor of the beef, giving it an umami-boost. A slow cooker makes this chili come together with ease, simmering away at a low temperature while you're out going about your day.
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso or coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon evaporated cane juice, preferably organic
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 2 scallions, chopped finely, for garnish
Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker.
In the same skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until browned, for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker and add the bell peppers, tomatoes, beans, broth, espresso, chili powder, and cumin.
Stir well, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours. (Alternatively, cook on high for 4 hours.) Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining olive oil, cane juice, and salt.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream and cayenne. Cover and refrigerate until serving. To serve, top the chili with the sour cream mixture and garnish with the scallions.
Recipe DetailsServings: 8
Total time: 8 hours, 25 minutes
Be a Part of the Conversation
Have something to say?
Add a comment (or see what others think).