Beef and Espresso Chili with Cayenne Cream
- 1 1/2 Pound extra-lean ground beef
- 4 Teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cup diced yellow onion
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 Pound tomatoes, chopped
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons instant espresso or coffee granules
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon evaporated cane juice, preferably organic
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/8 Teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 2 scallions, chopped finely, for garnish
This chili is gluten-free and delicious. The flavor of espresso complements and enhances the flavor of the beef, giving it an umami-boost. A slow cooker makes this chili come together with ease, simmering away at a low temperature while you're out going about your day.
Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker.
In the same skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until browned, for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker and add the bell peppers, tomatoes, beans, broth, espresso, chili powder, and cumin.
Stir well, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours. (Alternatively, cook on high for 4 hours.) Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining olive oil, cane juice, and salt.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream and cayenne. Cover and refrigerate until serving. To serve, top the chili with the sour cream mixture and garnish with the scallions.
Calories per serving:298 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.