- Earl S. (Tupperware) Tupper born (1907)
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 2 split bone-in, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat (1 ½-2 pounds total)
- 1/4 sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray, or extra-virgin olive oil in a spray can
- 1 whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 stone-ground, 100-percent whole-grain cornmeal, plus more for the baking sheet
- 1 whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 store-bought or homemade BBQ sauce
- 1/2 red or orange pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1/8 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 golden Greek pepperoncini, drained
- 1/2 reduced-fat sharp or medium Cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cilantro, chopped roughly
If you are a fan of the taste of barbecue, you’ll love this chicken pizza! I love experimenting with different sauce bases and this one is a great alternative to traditional tomato sauce on your pizza.
Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Season the meat side of the chicken with the salt and pepper and coat lightly with cooking spray. Grill the chicken with a closed lid until grill marks form, 5-8 minutes. Turn the chicken ¼ turn, close again and cook, undisturbed, 5-8 more minutes.
Turn the chicken over, close the lid, and cook until the internal temperature reads between 163-165 degrees when a thermometer is inserted into thickest part of breast meat, without touching any bone, 15-25 minutes longer. Remove the chicken from the grill to a baking sheet and let rest until cool enough to handle. Transfer to a cutting board and cut meat into bite-sized pieces, removing the bones.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, place it on a rack in center of oven and close the door.
Let the pizza dough sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before you roll it out. Spread the cornmeal on a clean work surface, and place the dough on top. Lightly coat your hands and a rolling pin with whole-wheat flour.
Press the dough into a disk and stretch it out into a 15-inch disk using your hands and a rolling pin. If you are using a pizza baking sheet, sprinkle a little cornmeal on baking sheet and transfer pizza dough onto sheet.
Spread 1/3 cup of the BBQ sauce on the dough, leaving a ½-inch border without sauce. Place the cut chicken in a bowl and toss to coat with the remaining BBQ sauce, then spread out the chicken evenly over the top of the pizza.
Add the peppers, red onion, and pepperoncini. Sprinkle the Cheddar on top. Spray the ½-inch border with cooking spray. If using a pizza stone, carefully slide the prepared pizza onto the preheated stone in the oven. If using a baking sheet, place in the oven on the middle rack.
Cook the pizza until the vegetables are soft and the crust is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the cilantro. Cut into 8 slices and serve.