Baja Shrimp Tacos
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo, stemmed
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk, plus 1 tablespoon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/4 Pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 Cups panko breadcrumbs
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 pickled jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 Cup store-bought pesto
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Lime wedges, for serving
While there are always a few extra steps when making Baja fish tacos, this shrimp recipe from Olé Restaurant Group is packed with so many exciting flavors that it can't be missed.
In a food processor, blend the mayonnaise with the chipotle, 1 tablespoon of buttermilk, and the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
In a large salad bowl, add the shredded cabbage and carrots. Season with white vinegar, salt and pepper and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat 2 1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Put the panko in another bowl. Coat each shrimp with the panko and fry in batches until golden, about 2 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels.
Spoon some of the cabbage into the center of each tortilla and top with 2 fried shrimp. Drizzle with the chipotle mayonnaise, pesto, and sprinkle with some of the pickled jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, and toasted sesame seeds.
Serve with lime wedges.