- World Water Week begins
Bacon Cures Hangovers
Recipe of the day
- ‘Yes, You Are Responsible for Your Franchises,’ Labor Board Scolds Fast Food Chains
- The Vegan Seafood Tower: This. Changes. Everything.
- Why Roanoke, Virginia is an Example to Our Nation
- Subway Knew About Jared Fogle’s Creepy Exploits but Did Nothing to Stop Them, Franchisee Says
- Californians Demanding Labels for Food Products Made with Fracking Wastewater
It’s no secret. Most college freshman know that a go-to cure for hangovers is a warm bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. But why? A team of researchers at Newcastle’s University Centre Life investigated the correlation and found that in general, food helps cure hangovers by speeding up metabolism, enabling the body to more quickly rid itself of alcohol. But science shows that bacon, in particular, should have a special place in the hearts of the hungover.
According to Elin Roberts of Newcastle University’s Centre for Life, who was quoted in The Daily Telegraph, “Bingeing on alcohol depletes neurotransmitters too, but bacon contains a high level of aminos which tops these up, giving you a clearer head.”
The science goes a bit further: “Researchers also found a complex chemical interaction in the cooking of bacon produces the winning combination of taste and smell which is almost irresistible,” even to vegetarians! It’s the “reaction between amino acids in the bacon and reducing sugars in the fat [that] provides the sandwich with its appeal.”
So, essentially the smell of cooking bacon lures you to the cure for your hangover. Is this the greatest scientific discovery ever, or what?
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts