Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, stems removed and cut in half lengthwise
- 6 strips bacon
- Salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- 3 sprigs of thyme (optional)
- Cucumber Yogurt with Dill
- Grilled Beef Tenderloin Tips
- Baked Asparagus with Fried Egg and Dill
- Canned Tuna Open-Faced Sandwich
- Kale, Mango, and Avocado Salad
- Strawberry and Ricotta Appetizer
- Raw Artichoke, Lemon, and Parmesan Salad
- Strawberry, Cheddar, and Chive Spring Salad
- Halibut Cheeks with Meyer Lemon and Basil Vinaigrette
Besides clementines, Brussels sprouts are one of the ingredients that I look forward to the most during the fall and winter months. (In fact, they make the cold weather slightly more tolerable.) Brussels sprouts are great on their own, simply cooked with some chile flakes and rosemary, but they are even better with bacon.
This recipe makes a great side dish for a roast meat or seafood like scallops or a thicker white fish like halibut.
To steam the Brussels sprouts, heat a pot of water until boiling or use a microwave. When the water is ready, place the Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket and cook until just tender.
Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook for about 6-8 minutes, turning halfway, until just crisp. Remove and allow to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. If there is more than a tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan, drain the excess, and then add the Brussels sprouts to to the pan. Cook over medium-high heat until they reach your desired level of doneness, about 5-7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the thyme leaves, if using.
Remove from the heat. Tear the bacon into little pieces and then add to the Brussels sprouts in the pan. Toss together to combine and serve.
Calories per serving:307 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Carb Sugar Conscious, Paleo, Specific Carbs, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added, No Sugar Added