Aztec Drinking Chocolate Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups cream; you can also use whole milk, or preferably a mixture of the two
- ½ vanilla bean, split length-wise
- 1 dried red chile, split and seeded
- One 2-3-inch cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt
- 2-2½ ounces bittersweet or Mexican chocolate
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Whipped cream, optional, for garnish
What’s better than heart-shaped boxes of waxy chocolate? Answer: a spicy drinking chocolate. This is like sex in a cup. Although I am not a physician, and I can’t guarantee such results, I assure you for once that your significant other will not be disappointed.
In a small saucepan over low heat, bring milk/cream, vanilla bean, chili, cinnamon, and salt to a gentle simmer. Let simmer about 2 minutes.
Add chocolate and whisk until completely melted. Once melted, turn off the heat and let the flavors infuse for about 10-12 minutes.
Strain into a clean pot, reheat gently, and divide between 2 glasses, and garnish with optional whipped cream (for extra credit) and a shaving of nutmeg.
Calories per serving:267 calories
Dietary restrictions:Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free