- Juan Mari Arzak born (1942)
- 6-8 stalks asparagus, cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 package whole-wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 8 Ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Parmesan, to taste
My go-to cooking method for asparagus is to toss it in some olive oil and stick it on the grill. And while that is certainly delicious, this time I wanted to think out of the box a bit and try something different with one of my favorite spring vegetables. The result? Asparagus pizza!
Click here for Awesome Asparagus Recipes.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Liberally season the asparagus with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll out the pizza dough to the desired shape. (Since I was baking on a cookie sheet, I made a rectangular pizza, but any shape works.) Place dough on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Top the dough with the mozzarella, and then add the asparagus and red onion on top of the cheese.
Bake in oven until crust is golden and cheese is hot and bubbly, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with Parmesan, cut into slices, and serve immediately.